Monday, May 4, 2009

Love thrift, will thrift - the goodwill upper west side

The Goodwill is a little treasure trove of goodies. That is, if you are willing to trawl through piles of grizzly coloured nylon shirts, comfortable rubber slip-on shoes (eek!) and scary see-through nighties. Buy hey, I'm not a fair weather thrifter, so I take a deep breath, pull my sleeves up and go for it!
This Goodwill is on 79th street between Broadway and Amsterdam avenues. It is small and narrow and you are pushed for space - although that means more thrift, yay! They have a women's clothing and shoes section. I once spied a Cacharel camel creme coat there, but unfortunately it was about 4 sizes too big for me - I bet it made one thrift diva a very happy lady. They also have housewares and books and a men's section.

The place isn't for the faint hearted, clothes are tightly packed together, there is usually a barricade of newly dropped bags blocking the narow store and there are no changing rooms - although there is a large mirror. That certainly hasn't stopped me from trying something on although you really don't want to be doing a full monty there.

This Sunday I went in and was rewarded with 3 classic books for ....drum roll...a grand total of $2,30. The books are used and have that nice soft feel to them. I've already started on to Kill a Mockingbird.


And by reading my all time classics I'm contributing to the greater good. Your dollars contribute to training, education and career services for the disadvantaged. Nice stuff.

For the love of thrift rating (from 1 to 10):

Selection: 6
Presentation: 6
Niceness of staff: 5
Bargain factor (ie pricing): 8
Thrift turnover: 7

The 79th Street Goodwill sells housewares; women's clothing and shoes; men's clothing and shoes; and books. Opening hours - conveniently open late: 10 am to 8 pm every day except on Sundays where it closes at 7pm.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I know what you mean about thrift stores. I grew up on thrift stores--and still make my way there occassionally for books and clothes. Only you could imagine the treasures I have found there. I have bought some of my favorite books there. And there's this absolutely beautiful summer dress I bought last summer. Every time I wear it, I get a lot of compliments. Supporting thrift stores such as the Goodwill does help for the greater good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I love getting compliments on my thrift finds - and although I'm not an exclusive thrift shopper - I find that my shopping excursions there are the most fun. And helping a good cause, is the cherry on the cake.

    ReplyDelete